We make our money through online advertising – which makes this site free for you to use. We’re not trying to pull a fast one or rip you off, but we do need to pay all of the talented people who work on this site, so we’ve adopted an advertising policy that works best for us and for you. If you have any questions, please contact us at [email protected]
1) We will not sell your personal details onto a third party – advertisers on our site may have access to your behaviour via cookies, but not your data.
2) We place ads based on where they perform best – if a page happens to sell lots of computer games, we will advertise more computer games on that page. That’s reasonable right?
3) We will not use behavioural targeting unreasonably – if you go to a site about watches we will assume you are interested in watches. It’s not a sinister action, it just makes sense. You don’t have to buy the watches any more than you have to buy anything else! We won’t behaviourally target anything that might embarrass you, and you always have the option to opt out.
4) We request that you don’t use ad blockers – contrary to popular belief we do sometimes get paid for you just seeing advertising without you clicking or buying anything. If you like our site, please don’t block our ads – it’s an easy way for you to pay us for using it without it costing you anything.
5) We run more ads than it is reasonable to keep track of, therefore if you have a complaint about an ad for any reason, please get in touch with us and let us know and we will do what we can about it – it’s not in our interests to displease our users*
6) We do not allow auto-initiated sound – that means ads are not allowed to have the sound switched on when the page loads. If you see an ad which does this, please let us know and we will hunt it down and switch it off as soon as possible*
7) We do not allow ads which make you download anything (especially viruses!), or which break the site in anyway. If you see an ad which does this, please let us know and we will hunt it down and switch it off as soon as possible*
8) If you see something you like advertised on our site, why not click the ad and buy it here? If you like our site, even if we don’t make money directly from the sale (not all adverts work that way) then it may at least make the advertiser like us more, and therefore spend more with us. And of course more money for us, means a better site for you. If you like your local shop more than your local supermarket, you may go there more to support them, and this is no different to that.
We’re not trying to trick you into buying things you don’t want or need, we’re just making you aware of the dynamic you are already involved in, so that you can consciously take part. Advertising has been rightly and wrongly demonised over the years, but it’s part of keeping the internet free, so working together we hope we can make it a more reasonable payment system for everyone.
To help us find the offending ad, please send us a screenshot of the ad, the URL you saw it on and what country you are in if possible. So you know, we will also likely tell off the advertiser, as all of our advertising partners know our rules