Five people were killed and others injured Sunday after gunmen opened fire on worshipers at a Quebec City mosque as evening prayers were ending in what Quebec’s premier described as an act of terrorism.
The mosque’s president said that five people were killed. Police said via Twitter that there were “deaths and injuries” but did not specify a number. A police spokesperson said that two suspects had been arrested.
“The situation is under control, the premises are secure and the occupants were evacuated,” police said in a tweet. “The investigation is ongoing.”
Witnesses said that two gunmen, some reports said three, opened fired at the Quebec Islamic Cultural Center. Local media reported that between 60 and 100 people were inside.
“Why is this happening here? This is barbaric,” the mosque’s president, Mohamed Yangui