BREAKING TIMES’ Yemi Adebowale presents a compilation of 8 facts many Nigerians may never have known about President Muhammadu Buhari. Certainly a reader’s delight!
- Shortly after the August 1983 military coup that brought him to power, Muhammadu Buhari received a phone call from a top personnel in the United States Army, appealing for Shehu Shagari’s Chief of Defence Staff, General Wushishi to be treated kindly. General Wushishi was the first Nigerian to graduate from the U.S. War College.
- President Muhammadu Buhari is the second Nigerian graduate from the U.S. War College. The first Nigerian graduate of the College, General Wushishi graduated in 1979.
- Buhari was selected as the U.S. War College football team referee 36 years ago, while a student of the institution. According to President Buhari, “Being referee all those years ago taught me to be fair and just.”
- President Muhammadu Buhari has 13 grand children. He has just received his 13th grandchild.
- Of all of President Buhari’s eight children, only one, Yusuf Buhari is a boy.
- President Buhari stopped his only son, Yusuf from joining the army. According to Buhari, the military he joined is very different from what it is today.
- President Buhari’s U.S. War College experience was responsible for his persistence in contesting a fourth time for President even after his previous 3 attempts failed.
- According to President Buhari, the collapse of the Soviet Union, breaking into 18 republics influenced his decision to join politics. “The collapse of the Soviet empire in 1980 without a single shot being fired convinced me that the multi-party democratic system was the best for all countries.”
Culled from the article “God Made Me But The U.S. Made Me –Buhari” by Garba Shehu. Garba Shehu is the Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to President Muhammadu Buhari.