Dr. Assad Hassan, an epidemiologist at the Ministry of Health, told reporters in Birnin Kebbi that the cases were recorded between February and April.
Hassan also explained that four of the victims were from Birnin Kebbi Local Government Area and the remaining two were from Bunza Local Government Area.
“The persons confirmed to be infected with the disease are between 23 to 65 years, and they include four males and two females,” he said.
According to him, one of the female patients died within the hours she arrived at the Federal Medical Centre, Birnin Kebbi.
He said the blood sample taken from the deceased tested positive for Lassa fever.
According to the epidemiologist, “The medical doctor that attended to the deceased was also infected with the fever but has since been treated and discharged from the hospital.”
Hassan explained that the last confirmed case was on April 27, refuting reports that two children died last week as a result of the Lassa fever.
“In response to the outbreak, he said there has been continuous sensitisation of healthcare workers on Lassa fever detection and infection, prevention and control measures within the hospital setting.