Community gives man One month Ultimatum to leave for Abusing Son

by on August 2, 2017
Eruemukohwarien Community, Ughelli North Local Govern­ment Area of Delta State, has given one Mr Austin Segun, who hails from Ondo State, a one-month ultimatum to quit the community for committing an abomination by chaining his son to a win­dow protector for over two weeks over allegation of the son being a wizard.
The victim, Tobi Segun, 13, who had just finished primary school was rescued by a group of vigilantes on patrol while he was groaning in pains at about 1.30 am in the night while begging God to take his life.
According to a commu­nity leader who pleaded an­onymity he said, “The boy (Tobi) was rescued by the vigilante of the community that were on routine patrol when they heard him groan­ing in pain after he was al­legedly chained to burglary proof of a room in their rent­ed 3-bedroom apartment.
“Though the parents were not at home as at the time he was rescued, the landlord called the father on phone while the community youth chairman alerted the DPO of Ughelli ‘A’ Division who personally came and arrest­ed the suspect.”
Mr. Segun was said to have been released on bail after he was arrested and de­tained at the Ughelli ‘A’ Divi­sion police station over the incident, but the community in collaboration with police have given him and his fam­ily one month to leave the community without delay because of the abominable act.
A vigilante member who rescued the victim explained that during their daily night patrol, they heard the faint cry of the boy pleading that he wants to die and that he can no longer bear the tor­ture.
He said: “Immediately, we alerted the community youth chairman and others, when we gained access into the house, we saw the boy alone, tied to the window protector while his hands were tied behind him.
Though the man was not around when the Author­ity visited the home but the wife and stepmother, Mrs. Edijala Favour Segun said: “They told us at a church we attended that he is a wizard and he also admitted that he is a wizard.
She said “My husband had to use a hot iron to burn his palm and feet owing to his misbehavior. Despite this, he opened the fridge in the house and ate every­thing in sight. This was what led to my husband tying his both hands and legs to the protector. He had just been tied for three days before we were arrested.
“The day we were arrest­ed, our landlord called us on the phone that we should come back to the house, few meters away from our house, we saw a crowd in our house and on sighting us they descended on us. They injured my husband on the head and also sustained in­jury on my nostril. In that process, the police came and arrested my husband while I was asked to take Tobi to the Ughelli Central hospital for treatment.
“My husband was able to secure his release but the IPO in charge of the case or­dered that we should move out of the community and we are very much ready to leave. This was documented and we all agreed to it in­cluding leaders of the com­munity.”
Recounting his ordeal, Tobi simply said: “I always run from the house be­cause I am not comfort­able. My mother is dead and the woman here is my step mother.”

Be the first to comment!
Leave a reply »


Leave a Response