1 comment

Death Toll in Las Vegas Shooting rises to 58, over 500 injured

by on October 2, 2017
 

More than 58 people have been killed and over 500 injured at an open-air country music festival in Las Vegas in the deadliest mass shooting in US history.

Terror spread through the city’s famous strip as 64-year-old gunman Stephen Paddock launched an attack from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino, unloading hundreds of rounds of ammunition from a cache of weapons towards concert-goers.

Police confirmed the attacker shot himself dead just as a police SWAT team burst into the hotel room from where he sprayed rapid fire on the crowd for several minutes.

Described as a “lone wolf” who lived in a remote desert retirement village, Paddock was holed up with more than 10 guns after he is believed to have checked into the hotel on Thursday.

READ  KEMI OLUNLOYO TO TONTO DIKE: YOU SHOULD HAVE KILLED HIM WITH HIS GUN

The attacker’s motive is unknown, but police believe he acted alone. They said he is “not believed to be connected to any militant group” despite a claim of responsibility from Islamic State, adding: “We have no idea what his belief system was.”

Addressing the nation on Thursday afternoon, US President Donald Trump described the shooting as an “act of pure evil”, adding that he would visit emergency services in Las Vegas on Wednesday.

The Las Vegas sheriff had earlier been seeking Paddock’s female “companion”, Marilou Danley, as a “person of interest”. After she was located overseas, police said the 62-year-old – who is believed to have lived with Paddock – was not involved in the shooting.

READ  FLASH| Troops Kill 18 Armed Cattle Rustlers (PICTURES)

An estimated 22,000 people dived for cover as hundreds of rounds of shots rained down on the crowd during the Route 91 Harvest Festival at shortly after 10pm on Sunday local time (6am Monday BST). An off-duty police officer was among the dead.

Las Vegas police said officers found more than 10 guns in the attacker’s hotel room after entering to find he had fatally shot himself.

comments
 
Leave a reply »

 
  • akin sodimu
    October 2, 2017 at 7:43 pm

    The calamity that occurred through this shooting madness is enormous, therefore US President Donald Trump should please take heart, and I also join millions of people all over the World to sympathize with the families of the victims of this barbaric incident. Whether the incident was a terrorist attack or just simply evil, Trump should concentrate his strength and anger on those people in US with such criminal tendencies, and positively ignore steps being taken by Nigerian Government to deal decisively with terrorists or anyone perceived to be a security threat or enemy of this nation. Trump should please face his job very squarely in the US. He and his government should also support Nigeria in her determination to get rid of terrorists.

    Reply

Leave a Response