EXCLUSIVE| I was Sacked By Buhari Because I am Igbo – Onyeka Onwenu

by on February 18, 2016

Onyeka Onwenu, who was fired this week as Director General of the National Centre for Women Development has released a statement alleging that the Powers that be kicked her out because she is Igbo… We bring you this exclusive Press Release.

When the call came on Sept 13 2013, to serve the Nigerian people as DG National Center For Women Development, I took it as a call from God and I answered in the affirmative.

I served for 2years and five months and did my best under very difficult conditions. We hardly had money to operate and the place was badly run down. Worst, there was low moral and lack of commitment among the Staff. Most spent the day loitering and gossiping. Many would not show up for work or arrive 11 am, only to leave before 3 pm. Some were absent for months and were just collecting their salary at home.

My administration changed all that. Most Staff were turned around and became passionate about the work, appreciating also the changes they thought were not possible but were happening right before them.

There remained though, a remnant who felt that the Center was their personal preserve and that the position of Director General should only go to someone from their part of the country. I was initially dismissed as just a Musician. When that did not work, I was targeted and abused for being an Igbo woman who came to give jobs to and elevate my people while sidelining them. When these detractors could not provide answers to the spate of improvement we were bringing, they resorted to sabotage and blackmail. The first such salvo was fired when a Senate Committee visited on an oversight mission a few months after my arrival. All three Generators at the Center were cannibalized, overnight, just hours to the visit.

READ  Saudi women no longer need a man's permission to travel ~ SA gov't

We got over that incident and trudged on. The rest of our activities and accomplishments, modest as there is public knowledge. I have never in my life been an unfair person. I never favored any group. I carried everybody along. But I did not put up with deliberate incompetence and a refusal to learn, an attitude of entitlement which some people displayed. We brought back a level of professionalism and commitment to deliver on our mandate. Without these attributes, the Center would have fallen apart.

When the call came for me to disengage from the Center, I took it in good faith and with thanksgiving to the Almighty, Yes some stakeholders were upset and tried to make a case for me to continue. Their effort was a testimony of God’s grace on my administration, but I also knew that it was time to go. God who sent me there was taking me to a higher level of service. His infinite wisdom is unassailable. That is my faith. Besides, I was exhausted and had abandoned many personal projects to devote myself, 200% to the Center. The abuses and lack of cooperation from a mother Ministry, from those who felt that the Center overshadowed them, to the extent that they tried to discourage others from working with us, were just a bit much for my comfort. I did not lobby for the job in the first place and I was not going to lobby to keep it. I actually looked forward to leaving. But some people were going to exact their pound of flesh.

READ  Borrowing Chargers Can Lead to Your Phone Being Hacked

They organized some staff, mostly Northerners, invited the Press and set about to disgrace themselves. By mid afternoon, while the Heads of Departments were putting together the handover notes, they seized the keys to my official car, even with my personal items still inside. Threats began to fly. “That Ibo woman must” “we will disgrace her”. Their Chief organizer, the Acting DG, went about whipping up ethnic sentiments against me. Late 2015, the same officer had gone to the Center’s Mosque to ask for the issue of a Fatwa against me, claiming that I was working against the interest of the North. We nipped that in the bud by calling a townhall meeting and asking that proof be provided. The Fatwa was denied and peace reigned for a while.

Police was called in to the Center to escort me out and avoid blood shed as I disengaged. Eventually, in the midst of insults and name calling, with an angry baying crowd, some of whom were brought in from outside, I entered my official car and left. At no time during this melee did I threaten to sue Mr President for asking me to disengage. Why would I? Is it not within his authority? Even if it were not, is the Center my personal property? I had done my best and if it was time to go, it was that simple. Life continues. I had a thriving career before my appointment. The Center did not make me. I have so much to do. I am a multitalented, multifaceted and multitasking child of God. By His grace, the future is greater. So what is the problem?

READ  APC Says Attack On "War On Corruption" Futile

Let me say here that The Federal Government should really look into the Parastatals and take note of the fact that many people who work on them do not have the requisite qualification. Many contribute nothing and many see their job as personal entitlement. They are owed because Nigeria belongs to them and them alone. Somehow, these people were given the impression that they could attempt to do what they did to me and nothing would happen. That is very sad indeed. The Ministry also has a case to answer. They helped to create that impression. A situation where the Ministry could invite a Management Staff to a trip abroad without informing the DG and the Staff would only inform her principal via text message, from the Airport as she is leaving the country, creates an atmosphere of indiscipline and anything goes. The Ministry should restrain itself to its spelt out function and not undermine the authority of the DG.

Finally, I declare that I am a Nigerian citizen who should enjoy the rights attendant to that privileged. I am Onyigbo and proud of it. I respect myself and I love and respect all for who they are. We are all God’s children. No one has the right to insult or abuse me or deprive me of my rights. Nigeria will not hold unless and until we all come to that realization.

Thank you and God bless.
Onyeka Onwenu (MFR)

Former DG NCWD

comments

• Sage
    February 18, 2016 at 9:11 am

We cannot have one nigeria until the North come to terms with the fact that the entity called Nigeria is made up of people from different ethnic background.

• February 19, 2016 at 1:03 am

And why don’t you ask her how she run the place before her sack? She may have administered the place ethnically for her selfish interests. Why is it that the majority of the staff were happy and jubilating that she was leaving? These are posers for all those who care.

• UCHE
    February 18, 2016 at 9:27 am

onyeka abeg shut up….na only u dem sack…..?????

• February 18, 2016 at 9:40 am

Uche, why the insults? She is trying to lay bare what is happening and why nigeria can’t really work as a country n u r here insult her? Thank God she is better than u x10

• amosocol
      February 19, 2016 at 9:44 am

She shows more of Igbo than Nigerian. So sad, particularly as she continuously mentioned God. Mentioning in preaching sentiment?

• Acholoson Patrick O
    February 18, 2016 at 9:43 am

Comment…The 26 DGs that were sacked were all Igbos?What sentiment was this woman trying to whip up?These utterances appear very unguarded as far as am concerned.

• February 18, 2016 at 10:55 am

Comment… In the interview,I didn’t hear Onyeka say dat Buhari sacked her because she’s an Igbo woman. she was was only lamenting about ethnicity in de establishment. De article was given a wrong title. Dat may be deliberate…

• Tope
    February 18, 2016 at 10:34 am

Comment…This comment by onyeka is purely rubbish. Many people from different ethnic groups have been sacked,so why is this woman stirring up issue where it is not. Mtsheew

• Donchris
    February 18, 2016 at 10:45 am

The problem with my lovely sister Onyeka is that she forgot she jumped protocol to get that job bcos she is a friend to the then 1st family sidelining experience. What goes around comes around

• tunok2k3
    February 18, 2016 at 10:47 am

Onyeka shouldn’t b coming up with this, u should ve know that this day will surely come, someone leave for u & didn’t complain. Also power has change hand, do u want to reap where u did not sow?

• Biafra
    February 18, 2016 at 10:51 am

My amiable sister never mind,zoo country called nigeria you see today you shall it no more.BIAFRA WE STAND.

• Bimbo
    February 18, 2016 at 11:01 am

Comment…rubbish! na only you. give another
    person chance. u have chop PDP money for more than 2yrs. u wan die there?

• Kkkkkk
    February 18, 2016 at 11:06 am

Comment…even if it true the comments is too tribal (bcs am an igbo) NO CAPITAL NO

• arik
    February 18, 2016 at 11:22 am

This woman is speaking bullshits! What did she expect? She openly campaign for pdp and now is expecting Apc government to still carry her alone, are u the only one sacked? Farm 4 ur farm madam. Ur a pdp member so let those that suffer for Apc as opposition b4 Njoy now, go home and stop hitting up the polity

• felix
    February 18, 2016 at 11:46 am

Comment…if dis is coming from onyeka…then am disapntd wit her.dis are the kind of tins that come out from selfish and greedy pple.wen u were placed there u neva said is becos u are from a particular tribe…now u do.thats how many of ur types are in politics.u either use religion or race or tribe so pple wud sympathize wit u.madam…u are not happy been sack.get over it.someone was there b4 u.

• February 18, 2016 at 12:39 pm

She’s just trying to say that she’s an Biafre woman!!!!!!

• February 18, 2016 at 12:41 pm

She’s just trying to declare that she’s an Biafre woman!!!!

• Freeman
    February 18, 2016 at 12:49 pm

When the call to serve came it was from GOD, but when d call to leave came it was bcos ‘I am Igbo’. well done madam Igbo. They would have left u there to remain like Mugabe. I pity our politicians who whip up ethnic and religious sentiments to achieve their aim.

• Clem
    February 18, 2016 at 1:19 pm

Most igbos’ have these sentiment;when things are working 4them u become their brother when it’s d opposite u become anti-igbo.These are part of d reasons why we become complex as a Nation.She was not d only one sacked yet as popular as she,who has enjoyed love&solidarity from so many Nigerians made this statement.Then Nigeria still have many thing to do about national orientation.

• Tagbo
    February 18, 2016 at 1:45 pm

I have problem with d caption/title ds article bears.
    She never mentioned she was sacked because she is Igbo.
    It’s entirely different from d piece ds woman wrote.
    The message was clear and not far from wat others have said before her.

God help us in dis country.
    Proudly Igbo.

• Auwal s saleh
    February 18, 2016 at 2:26 pm

Comment…madam u are sounding like illitrate! Igbo says they wil never allowed PMB to rule dis country smootly that is why u people are using ur offices to spoil his administration. In 2011 northerners vote jonathan and he fail nigerians brought boko haram to the northerners, hunger and poverty. Igbo enjoyed by sharing nigerian money to them self now that we voted their son out and brought PMB u are trying to disorganised dis country with ur useless regional centiment. Are u the only people in dis country?

• meshach
      February 19, 2016 at 9:34 am

Comment…u can Neva have president like Jonathan. pmb s a mess to Nigeria. naira s falling everyday why all dis nonsense. gudluck stand in a beta PLC to b our president in dis country but due to ur selfishness n tribalistic dat courses all dis wahala today

• Zeedoh
      February 19, 2016 at 9:34 am

Auwal’s you are not sincere with your analysis, why bcos all those who spoiled Jonathan administration were notherners, take for instance the case of Dasuki arms deal,those monies were shared to nothener not eastern pple so what are u saying?

• chidi
    February 18, 2016 at 2:51 pm

dis is one of our problem in dis country. Nigerians should take note. Madam u can’t fool us d Igbos pls mind ur language u were not d only sacked after somebody was sacked by Jona to appoint u dey.

• lacoster
    February 18, 2016 at 4:57 pm

Comment… Leave her alone, let her continue to say thrash; the likes of petroleum minister (state), CBN governor and others are not Igbo now; dis kind of people are not qualified to hold key offices in Nigeria bcos it clearly shown that they will use their position to favour people from their ethnic and thereby promote favouritism and nepotism.

• stephen,o,biafra guy.
    February 18, 2016 at 5:48 pm

sis don’t worry it is just a matter of time,their will know ur value,that is it,these Nigeria of a thing we are tired of,that why we all need to come out and support Biafra independent.

• meshach
      February 19, 2016 at 9:41 am

we should just prayer for God intervention if not era of assassination has cm n hunger. just look at d country today every citizen s cry for money, foodn d so call president is bizy travelling unnecessary

• stephen,o,biafra guy.
    February 18, 2016 at 5:51 pm

sis don’t worry it is just a matter of time,their will know ur value,that is it,these Nigeria of a thing we are tired of,that why we all need to come out and support Biafra independent,we don’t belong in Nigeria,freedom is our course now.

• Nuea
    February 18, 2016 at 5:57 pm

Onyeka, u composed a song 4 GEJ to run. U are running now. You exposed what the ibo really are. Greed 4 money. Invite your people home if you are annoyed that PMB sacked you and let them stay at their homeland for 5days if they will not steal themselves to penury and eat their young ones for food. Pls accept ur sack with equanimity.

• Sigy OO
    February 18, 2016 at 6:29 pm

Comment…Political and ethnic sentiment everyday is too bad about some people in this country,despite your tribe.I think we need good political orientation towards our political ideology,attitude and a good political culture as a citizens of Nigerian. The woman is sentimental .

• February 18, 2016 at 7:27 pm

uche ure such a big disgrace to igbos. ure co attackers on onyeka will never attain her level until ure generations perish. we re talking of reality on ground u stupid things are there bringing up sentiments. infact must buhari destroy all jonathan planted for him to succeed? cant he be rational for a while and know that some people are useful in their field? he keep clamping on people and programmes that he feels that jonathan initiatives forgetting that most of this people given him this useless information to destroy all the past administrative initiatives are not doing anything good for him and are going to be the ones to bring him down to zero level in time to come. they are doing all this for their own selfish purpose. at least there should be continuity in some level of governance and programmes that is why we re backwards today because every government will like to destroy what the past administration has implanted to plant his own after spending our hard earn tax money and resources no body

• safing
    February 18, 2016 at 7:34 pm

That uche is a your a man

• safing
    February 18, 2016 at 7:35 pm

Well one day God will library Biafra

• AkpanObong
    February 18, 2016 at 8:43 pm

All of are fools, why can’t
    she express her feelings. beside she gave details of what the Hausa’s has been up for before now and all of you are talking rubbish, onyeka Jehovah want to save your life from these sucking Hausa demons but don’t say Igbo you are a true Biafran

• February 18, 2016 at 9:23 pm

Comment…my dear,u have to accept it with good faith,and as well take it, as a will of God.my prayer is that, God will surely take u to a greater height.08034621737.

• Famak Tyem
    February 18, 2016 at 9:59 pm

its unfortunate you are crying now while i ran into some of your staff who were crying under the huge hammer of tribalism you were meting to them they were praying day and nite God should remove you. i am sure if they are interviewed 99% will support your sack. its unfortunate you sing and advocate what your completely opposite this is not the time for sycophants in Government please.

• February 19, 2016 at 12:51 am

Madam Igbo and her sentiment, ask yourself the way you behaved while you were oga at top. Most Igbo Chief Executives of Federal parastatals were tribalistic and arrogant. They became worst during Jonathan because Pius Anyim was there to help and protect them.
    You were never a civil servant and you became a DG due to sentiments Madam whether you agree or not that is the plain truth. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
    You served under Jonathan and you have the guts to advise the present government to investigate some people, just pray that you left a clean record behind, otherwise you will still tell us EFCC are after you because you are Igbo.

• Chief O. Titus
    February 19, 2016 at 2:20 am

Mrs. Oyeka O. If you thought or you made such conclusions, that “you were unseatted because of your tribe” then, it just indicated or shows that you are completely tribalistic, such statement shouldn’t come from you.You of all people. Eventhoug it is true.But, because of your calibre and who you are representing(i.e Nigeria) you are not just representing Igbo.Such conclusions should be far from you.Ma,Nigerian loves you more than that and God loves you more.just know that is time to move forward.I beg you withraw your statement and seek for mercy.

• Bashir akanni
    February 19, 2016 at 8:08 am

Here comes the igbo again. This is one of the main reason I hate this tribe. Whatever happen to them in the hands of other tribe must be attributed to their being a igbo.They must also check themselves.

• KB ATASE
    February 19, 2016 at 8:08 am

Comment…Her sentiment is so bare. I think the national orientation agency should focus madam alone to change her. Madam pls lets preach peace and unity instead of incitive comments. ONE NIGERIA

• Bashir akanni
    February 19, 2016 at 8:08 am

Here comes the igbo again. This is one of the main reason I hate this tribe. Whatever happens to them in the hands of other tribe must be attributed to their being a igbo.They must also check themselves.

• February 19, 2016 at 9:13 am

Comment… Fellow Nigerians.Can we look into eachothers’ faces nd honestly say dat there’s no tribalism nd ethnicism in our polity? Until we all start seeing one another as human beings 1st of all,created by de same almighty God; and until we start seeing ourselves as equal citizens of dis great country,we will continue to be a laughing stock in front of de whole world. Our country is blessed beyond measure,but we live like a cursed people. We’ve allowed unscrupulous leaders with criminal intent to hijack our country nd we’re here playing ethnicity games. Show me which ethnic group dat has produced leaders dat has lead us well. There is stinking poverty nd squalor everywhere in de country. Brothers nd sisters, our problem is not in our diversity. It should be to our advantage. Our anger nd Vernon should rather be directed at corruption nd those who are perpetrating it. I’m a proud Igbo man,but I don’t care who occupies any seat in this country so long as de person is serving with integrity nd love of God nd country. Naija can be great again. We have what it takes. God bless my Naija nd may we renew our minds nd work hard to achieve unity of purpose.

• amosocol
      February 19, 2016 at 10:00 am

@ Patrick Okoro, u are a true Nigerian. If views of people like u are published on social media like this Nigeria will wax strong in unity and patriotism. Keep in up.

• Aduojo
    February 19, 2016 at 9:14 am

Comment…don,t mind her,4d past 2yrs &5months did u host proggammes in Igalaland as awhole? why ar u saying bcos u an lgbo. go and continue ur fmr biz.

• meshach
    February 19, 2016 at 9:36 am

Comment…gudluck s d best president u Eva hav

• amosocol
    February 19, 2016 at 9:47 am

She shows more of Igbo than Nigerian. So sad, particularly as she continuously mentioned God. Mentioning God in preaching sentiment?