0 comments

FG Denies Allegations of Doctoring Report of Defence Equip­ment Procurement Probe

by on July 16, 2016
 
The Minister of Infor­mation and Culture, Alhaji Lai Moham­med, has denied allegations making the rounds that the Federal Government doc­tored the report of the Pres­idential Committee on the Audit of Defence Equip­ment Procurement in the Armed Forces (2007-2015).
The minister made the clarification in a statement signed yesterday by his special adviser, Mr Segun Adeyemi, in which he dis­missed the insinuation as untrue.
Mohammed explained that what had been released so far was the report of the audit covering the period 2011 to 2015, adding that the committee would com­mence the audit of procure­ment from 2007 to 2010 as soon as the necessary docu­ments were available.
“When the documents regarding procurement from 2007 to 2010 are avail­able and scrutinised, the committee will then issue its report on that.
“The audit is being done in phases, and the report that was released on Thurs­day is the third of such,” he said.
The minister assured that the Federal Govern­ment’s anti-corruption fight was non-discrimina­tory, calling on Nigerians to keep an open mind as events unfold. He stressed that the corruption in the defence sector had very se­rious consequences for the country.
“No one should attempt to distract from the serious­ness of the issues involved in this audit of defence equipment procurement,” he said.
The minister noted that with more than N185.8 bil­lion and 685.3 million dol­lar spent on procurement and operations within the period, the irregularities in the awards denied the mil­itary from getting value for money.

READ  I Approved Controversial NNPC Contracts - Yemi Osinbajo
Be the first to comment!
 
Leave a reply »

 

Leave a Response