Suspected Fulani insurgents had, in early hours of Sunday, attacked Egba in Agatu Local Government Area of Benue State, killing over 80 persons.
The attack is coming less than one week after the Ter Tyoshin, Daniel Abomtse, warned of impending attacks by Fulani mercenaries.
The state Command of the Nigeria Police Force (NPF), which confirmed the incident, however, said only 30 bodies have so far been recovered.
But locals in the area disclosed that over 80 persons have been killed and they were still counting.
“We gathered that the insurgents had attacked the town as early as 5am yesterday (Sunday),” one resident of the area said.
The gubernatorial running mate of the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), John Ngbede, who is also from the area, confirmed that his people came under the attack from their assailants.
The state Police Commissioner, Hycinth Dagala, who said his men have been dispatched to the troubled spot, said he would rely on reports by his men on the field to ascertain the number of casualty.
He explained that a search to recover more bodies is ongoing.
Meanwhile, a member representing Apa/Agatu State Constituency, Audu Sule, has described the attack as deadly.
He noted that apart from the number of deaths recorded, the attack has displaced thousands.
The lawmaker further lamented the continued use of Nasarawa State as a base for Fulani insurgents to launch their attacks on his constituents.
Sule, who was speaking in Makurdi on Sunday, said: “this attack is deadly, the attackers who came in their hundreds killed scores and more than 80 corpses have so far been recovered.”
The parliamentarian said the attackers burnt down houses in the area as women and children fled for safety.
Sule said those that survived the attack had fled and were taking refuge in Ogbalu and Obagaji in Agatu.
Source: Daily Independent