0 comments

2015: Jonathan Declares Today

by on November 11, 2014
 

President Goodluck Jonathan will today formally declare his ambition to contest the 2015 presidential election on the platform of the ruling party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), which had already adopted him as its sole candidate.

President Jonathan is expected to launch a new slogan, “Nigeria first, Nigeria Always, let’s do it together,” which will signpost his campaign for the presidential election.

The new slogan, besides signalling his decision and determination to the seek the mandate of Nigerians to serve for another four years, is projected to assure Nigerians of all segments that they rank first in the policy thrusts of his administration.

The national executive committee (NEC) of the party had, in September this year, roundly adopted President Jonathan as the sole candidate of the party by way of granting him the right of first refusal to its presidential ticket.

READ  Sacking AFN TD where Did Sports Minister Derived the Powers

The endorsement by the NEC was preceded by series of endorsements from other organs of the part, including the PDP Governors’ Forum, the Board of Trustees (BoT) of the party and the national caucus.

Members of the party in the national assembly had also pledged their unrivalled support to his emergence as the sole candidate of the party.

Preparatory to his declaration today, governors and other party stalwarts from across the country have stormed the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) in anticipation of a spectacle.

Hotel rooms in the capital have been booked just as traffic within the city centre has heightened. Moreso, security had since been beefed up around the capital, and specifically at the Eagles Square, venue of the declaration.

READ  Fayemi’s wife’s convoy attacked by hoodlums who hijacked student protest [PHOTOS]

Over 2,000 groups, including the PDP national leadership, PDP stakeholders, women groups, civil society groups will be attending the declaration.

 

Police close roads to Eagle Square

In an apparent move to avert any unpleasant occurrence as President Goodluck Jonathan officially declares his intention to contest the 2015 presidential election today, the Nigeria Police authorities have ordered the immediate closure of all roads leading to the Eagle Square, venue of the event.

Police spokesman, CP Emmanuel Ojukwu disclosed this yesterday in a statement made available to LEADERSHIP in which he said the closure of the roads would be enforced between 5am and 8pm.

READ  N75m Campaign Fund Scandal: “I Insist Gbenga Sesan Collected Money” – Adelaja

According to Ojukwu, the action is one of the measures put in place to avoid the breakdown of law and order in the area and Abuja as a whole.

“The Nigeria Police Force regrets any inconvenience the diversion of vehicular movements within the area may cause members of the public,” Ojukwu said.

 

Source: Leadership

Be the first to comment!
 
Leave a reply »

 

Leave a Response