0 comments

Jonathan Did Not Give His Ministers Any Exit Bonanza – Former Minister of National Planning

by on March 24, 2016
 

There are strong indications that 14 ministers who served under the Goodluck Jonathan administration will not receive any Severance package by the Muhammadu Buhari led regime.

President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration has said that it will adhere to the implementation of the terms of appointment, adding that the ex-ministers did not qualify for the package because they spent less than two years in office

Those ministers affected are ;  Senator Musiliu Obanikoro (Lagos)-Minister of State for Foreign Affairs II; Mr Kenneth Kobani (Rivers)-Minister of State for Trade and Investment; Patricia Akwashiki (Nasarawa)-Minister of Information; Nicholas Akise Ada (Benue)- Minister of State for Foreign Affairs; Augustine Akobundu (Abia)- Minister of State for Defence; Fidelis Nwankwo (Ebonyi)-Minister of State for Health; Hauwa Lawan (Jigawa)-Minister of State for Niger Delta Affairs and Senator Joel Danlami Ikenya (Taraba)-Minister of Labour and Productivity, Mr Benjamin Osita Chidoka (Aviation); ex-Governor Ibrahim Shekarau (Minister of Education); Steve Oru (Minister for the Niger Delta); Prince Clement Adeyeye (Minister of State for Works); and Abdul Bulama (Minister of Science and Technology) and Dr. Abubakar Olanrewaju Suleiman(National Planning).

READ  Senator from Akwa Ibom Charged to Court Over Assets Declaration

A clause in the Ministerial appointment letters reads in part: “Severance Allowance of 300 %of Annual Basic Salary payable after full tenure of office with government. The allowance will be pro-rated after a minimum of two years tenure.”

Deep-throat sources in the current administration had said;

“They have not met the official requirements for severance package and they won’t get it”.

“I think those affected should be up to 20. So far, more than half of those in Jonathan’s cabinet will not get severance package”.

“If they had been paid in error, we would have asked them to refund the severance allowance.”

In reaction, spokesman for the Jonathan cabinet who was the former Minister of National Planning, Dr. Abubakar Olanrewaju Suleiman, said: “To the best of my knowledge, most ministers returned their official vehicles. The necessary handover procedures were fully complied with”. “If there is any issue in a ministry, you can bring it up and we will crosscheck”.

“It is also true that some of the former ministers will not get severance package because they did not stay in office for two years”.

“And as for those entitled to severance package, not all of them have been paid. This is to show you that ex-President Goodluck Jonathan did not abuse the privilege of office. Unlike previous administrations, Jonathan did not give his ministers any exit bonanza or package”.

Omolara Adegoke- Abuja

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. We also authorize the copying and usage of parts or the whole of this publication as long as Credit is given to thebreakingtimes.com and other mentioned sources

Be the first to comment!
 
Leave a reply »

 

Leave a Response