|PRESS STATEMENT – KEMI ADEOSUN’S COMMENTS INSENSITIVE AND OUT OF LINE
1. Mrs. Kemi Adeosun’s statement yesterday was an out of line & insensitive attempt at signalling.
2. Contrary to her belief, “recession” is not just a word. It’s a horrible reality for millions of Nigerians who face increasing difficulty in putting food on the table & meeting basic everyday financial obligations.
3. It’s all the more shocking that her comment was made on the day when Nigerian Bureau of Statistics (NBS) released a report stating that 4,580,602 have lost their jobs since May 29, 2015.
4. Her comments fly against the reality of rising food costs, parents withdrawing children from schools due to fee increments, rising transportation costs, rents & other such everyday expenditure.
5. Her comments are an insult to suffering Nigerians & make mockery of the pain we bear as a result of the sheer incompetence & lack of ability of the Muhammadu Buhari administration of which she is an integral part.
6. While 4,580,602 may seem like a statistic, these are real people with real responsibilities.
7. We urge Mrs. Adeosun to apologise for her insensitive comments, to stop speaking like a motivational speaker & act like the Minister of Finance that she is.
8. In a subsequent statement, we will address how her statement about fiscal discipline makes no sense in the face of available data.
9. God bless Nigeria.
Director, New Media