The Nigerian military on Wednesday released 983 people, who were detained in the country’s volatile northeastern region for alleged links to Boko Haram terrorist group.
Maj. Gen. Olusegun Adeniyi, commander of the military counter-terrorism operation in the region, who handed over the suspects to the state authority on Wednesday in Maiduguri, heartland of Boko Haram violence, said the 983 suspects — including five women — have been screened and cleared by the military joint investigation center.
He said the suspects were arrested during several military operations against Boko Haram in the country northeast region.
The commander said they were released after having discovered the suspects did not have any links with the terror group.
Speaking to Anadolu Agency on condition of anonymity, some of the released people said they had been under detention for almost four years.
Babagana Zulum, governor of northeast Borno State, assured that the released people will be rehabilitated.
Over 30,000 people have been killed and nearly 3 million displaced in a decade of Boko Haram terror activities in the country, according to United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs in Nigeria.