After seven days,that a deadly attack was carried out at a military base by Boko Haram, the N Nigeria Army has threatened to sue persons circulating “fake news that aims to undermine national security.”
The Nigerian Army on Saturday took to its Social Media handles(Twitter and Facebook pages) said it “has continued to observe with great dismay the myriads of photos and video clips being recklessly distributed on various social media platforms by different caliber of persons” on the attack in Metele, Borno State.
Earlier on Friday, the army said “Whilst it is true that there was an attack” on the Nigerian Army 157 Task Force Battalion on November 18, 2018, it has “become necessary to correct several misinformation being circulated with regards to this unfortunate event.”
The army in a Facebook and Twitter post on Saturday evening expressed concern over what it said was the indiscriminate circulation of different fake video footage, an action it says creates fear and unrest in the society.It dismissed the videos as ‘false’, explaining that they do not portray the situation on ground.
President Muhammadu Buhari on Saturday finally broke his silence on the Metele attack, saying “No responsible Commander-in-Chief would rest on his oars or fold his hands to allow terrorists to endanger the lives of its military personnel and other citizens.”
The president promised to work with the military to ensure the defeat of the insurgents.