Workers at the corporate headquarters of the Nigerian Breweries (NB), Iganmu, Lagos, Monday, embarked on what they have described as ‘Hunger Strike’ to drive home to the management of the company the immediate implementation of their demands totaling over 19.
It was gathered that while the management staff of NB totally downed their tools since 10.00am Monday, non management staff embarked on hunger strike, threatening to also down tools if their demands are not met by the management.
The aggrieved workers sent home their demands in a statement signed by their Secretary, Comrade Sunday Olawoyin.
Investigations revealed that the over 19 demands made by the workers have tarried on since 2015, when it was last negotiated between the staff Union and management of NB. The workers’ demands it was learnt are usually renegotiated every two years.
One of the aggrieved workers who spoke under the condition of anonymity for fear of victimization disclosed that “our new Human Resource Manager is the cause of this current brewing crises, as she has refused bluntly to renegotiate the terms of our welfare as service providers for the Nigerian Breweries.
“These terms of services are renegotiated every two years between our union and the management. The last negotiations were made in 2015. This is December 2017, but this new Human Resource Manager has refused to go to the negotiation table with our union. We don’t know why she is hell-bent in causing crises in this company.”
“For me, we are not even asking for the implementation of all the 19 demands, but at least, let the management come to the negotiation table with our union,” he said.
Meanwhile, a copy of the union’s statement made available to Journalists stated that the demands include:
Insecticide And Cleaning Materials: Insecticide and Cleaning Materials should be distributed on monthly basis. One 4 litre Liquid Raid; One Liquid Soap; Six Tin Baygon; Add Liquid Antiseptic.
- Free Issue: One carton each of Company product to be added to the existing free issue for all categories of employees.
- Scholarship: Union requesting for upward review of Scholarship Awards. Secondary School: N300,000 only; University: N600,000 only.
- See Off: Employees who have served the Company for over 20years to be given N5million only to own a house.
- Housing Loan: Union requesting for Housing Loan of N1, 500, 000 only and the interest to be borne by the Company.
- Utilities Allowance: Payment of Utilities Allowance at the rate of N50,000 only to all employees on monthly basis.
- Death In Service Benefits: Cash- N1, 500, 000 only; Drinks- 60 cartons of Company products.
- Pensioner Free Issue: Union requesting for 24 crates of Company products annually.
- Transfer Allowance: Six months Basic Salary for all categories of employee.
- Car Refurbishment Loan: Policy on Car Refurbishment Loan to be reviewed for employees to access the loan. Union requesting for N1million only.
- Meal Subsidy: Union is requesting for upward review to N3500 only and also for the calculation of End of Service Gratuity.
- Christmas Bonus: Union requesting for upward review to 250 per cent of Basic Salary.
- Long Service Award: See statement attachment below.
- Paternal Leave: Union is requesting for an upward review of five working days.
- Union requesting for one month Basic Salary for every employee after signing agreement.
- Educational Assistance: Union requesting for N500,000 as Education Assistance for Employees.
- Early Retirement: Union requesting the payment of remaining years for employees who are asked to proceed for Early Retirement, including the Ex-Gratia and Goodwill Bonus.
- Retiree Salary: Upward review of Pensioner Salary by 20 per cent.
- Non Complain Bonus: Improvement from N30000 to N60000,” the statement read.