0 comments

Nigeria’s Debt is $64 Billion – DMO

by on December 11, 2015
 

Nigeria’s debt profile is $64 billion.  Director General of the Debt Management Office (DMO), Abraham Nwankwo disclosed this yesterday when he appeared before the Senate Committee on Foreign and Local Debts, explaining that 84 percent of the entire debt profile was owed locally while the remaining 16 percent was foreign.

He, however, assured that the debt would not affect the economy, contrary to claims by some financial experts.‎  Mr. Abraham Nwankwo equally explained that the N1.2 trillion domestic borrowing and foreign loan of N635.88 billion proposed in the Medium Term Expenditure Framework (MTEF) for the 2016 fiscal year, was also okay for the country’s development.

READ  Building N17 Billion Airport In Your Village is not Priority For Nassarawa - Labaran Maku Blasts Governor

In his words; “Even before the collapse of oil prices, it has been estimated, more than five years ago that Nigeria needed a minimum of $25 billion per annum continuously for up to 10 years to enable it close its infrastructure deficit”.

“That has been established by all relevant experts, and institutions. In addition, the collapse of the oil prices by our own estimate shows that public revenue from oil had dropped by about $16 billion per annum”.

“In this type of situation, what a responsive government should do, and which is what our government is doing is to make sure that it counteracts a continuous decline in economic activities… Borrowing is being done to achieve positive impact on the economy, it will lead to growth, creation of employment, and build solid capacity for the future, which will help us to diversify our economy”.

READ  Facebook deletes multiple accounts from Nigeria, Indonesia, UAE, and Egypt

“What the government is planning to do now is to explore at least five out of the 34 solid minerals that we have. We will develop, and process them for export.”

 

Omolara Adegoke- Abuja

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. We also authorize the copying and usage of parts or the whole of this publication as long as Credit is given to thebreakingtimes.com and other mentioned sources

Be the first to comment!
 
Leave a reply »

 

Leave a Response