Nigeria’s Vice President Yemi Osinbajo on Sunday, May 6, 2018, named those whom he alleged stole $3 billion from oil lifted in a strategic alliance contract by the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC, during the administration of former president Goodluck Jonathan, Daily Trust reports.
Osinbajo, in a statement by his spokesman, Laolu Akande, named them as a former minister of petroleum resources Diezani Allison-Madueke, Jide Omokore and Kola Aluko. Last week the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) had challenged Osinbajo to name the three persons he claimed to have stolen the money.
Osinbajo said Diezani, Omokore and Aluko made away with the money, and that royalties and taxes were also not paid, adding that none of them had come out to make any denial.
“We all know about the $2.1 Billion arms equipment scandal that was investigated, it is being used in the case against the former NSA, this also happened under the previous administration. “
“We have released a number of names of people who have been found with questionable funds, allegedly looted from the public till, and some of them, in some instances have actually refunded money that they couldn’t explain where it came from. We have tons and tons of evidence of how under the previous administration grand corruption was the order of the day,” he said.
The vice president in reaction to the warning by the PDP that he should stop tagging its leaders and members as thieves, said it was “a show of shame to have a group of politicians trying to confuse Nigerians and trying to shift the blame.”
“And so any attempt to try to confuse Nigerians is a wasted effort, because Nigerians know exactly who to trust and who to believe. It is a shame that the PDP thinks they can fool Nigerians; it is not going to happen,” he added.