PDP: On the verge of reconciling all aggrieved factions
The Standing Committee on Reconciliation of the PDP headed by His Excellency Governor Henry Seriake Dickson at its meeting held on the 7th of March 2017 in Abuja, resolved as follows:
- Restates its commitment to the pursuit of a political solution as the best option for resolving the ongoing challenges facing the party without prejudice to the ongoing judicial process.
- That accordingly there is need to provide a template that would culminate into a Unity National Convention.
- That the Convention Planning Committee should consist of the following distinguished party leaders. i. State Governors ii. 7 Senators including the Deputy Senate President iii. 12 Members of the House of Representatives iv. 6 Members of the Board of Trustees v. 6 National Vice Chairmen (one per zone) vi. 3 State Chairmen per zone (18). vii. 6 serving speakers of the State Houses of Assembly viii. 6 Former Governors ix. Former Presiding officers of the National Assembly x. 6 Prominent Women Leaders xi. 6 Youth Leaders of the Party. xii. 6 Former Ministers of the Party xiii. 12 others to be nominated by the National Chairman in consultation with stakeholders.
- That the Convention Committee shall be responsible for the conduct of the elections to all National Offices of the Party including zoning of such offices.
- That as part of the sacrifice to be made in order to reposition the party, the committee is of the view that all national officers who may claim that their tenure still subsists beyond the proposed convention are hereby requested to relinquish their claim in the interest of the party.
- For the Purpose of the convention, all officers elected at the ward, local, state and zonal levels before the first Port Harcourt convention of 21st May, 2016 are deemed validly elected except for the election held in some states that were declared by NEC as inconclusive.
- That the proposed National Convention should hold as soon as possible and not later than 30th June, 2017.
- The Committee shall continue to engage the party leadership and all relevant stakeholders with a view to having a hitch free convention and calls upon all and sundry to work towards the realisation of this objective.
- The Committee appreciates the efforts of the former President, Governors and other leaders of the party for their efforts at resolving the leadership crises in the party.
Made this 7th Day of March, 2017 and Signed by HE. HON Henry Seriake Dickson.