By Sylvanus Ofekun
The sum of 1.6 Billion Naira granted officials of the Nigeria Football Federation NFF for World Cup Preparations and participation, might indeed make the New Year celebrations unpleasant for top Officials at the football house.This follows documents obtained by Breaking Times on how the NFF spent the funds given them by the Sports Ministry.
Breaking Times had last week reported how the Sports Minister, Solomon Dalung had threatened officials of the Nigeria Football Federation NFF to retire world cup money or risk going to jail over the sum of N1.6 billion allegedly released to Amaju Pinnick to cover its expenditure up to the quarterfinals of the Russia 2018 World Cup.
However,fresh documents obtained has shown the clear admission of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) admitting to have misapplied and misappropriated the sum of N1,372,996,192.40 while disclosing that Ambassador Chris Giwa spent N140million during his short stay at the NFF during the crisis.
In the one-page document signed by Mohammed Cheku Salihu, the Director Finance and Administration, endorsed with the official stamp of the Office of the President NFF Abuja titled: ‘retirement of World Cup funds’ there were 16 items.
See break down below:
- Daily allowances for players/officials ($126,771)
- Appearance fee for 3 friendly matches ($327,000)
- Return tickets for players/officials ($246,000)
- Daily allowances for competitions proper (15 days) at ($142,000)
- Estacode for the delegation including advance party ($613,858)
- Hotel accommodation ($200,000)
- Local transportation of delegates ($150,000)
- Team and delegation insurance ($286,000)
- Matches tickets and others ($150,000)
- Winning bonus for players/officials (prelim) ($1,392,000)
- Return tickets for players for Russia (187,600)
But further check by www.gongnews.net revealed that all the claims of expenditure by the NFF might not be correct as the World Governing Football Authorities, FIFA takes care of all items listed by the NFF.
Misapplication of funds: Four items are in clear obstructions of the nation’s financial regulation. The items had the label of ‘borrowed.’ They are:
- Borrowed for U-20 women team (to be returned) ($168,500)
- Borrowed for U-20 women team (to be returned) ($68,500)
- Borrowed for Super Eagles Seychelles (to be returned) ($158,000)
- Borrowed for U-17 to Niger (to be returned) ($54,615)
These four items total the sum of $749,615. One item that is not certain is in the original approval for the World Cup expenditure is that which is titled ‘others’ which has an expenditure of $300,000.
The silent revelation was lodged on the lower side of the page which was scripted as “monies left in the account (spent by Amb. Giwa). The value is N140,000,000.00”
By admittance, of the N1.5billion released by the Federal Government, the 16 items listed in the retirement document, $4,470,844.00 was spent which was calculated at N307.00 to the Dollar amounting to N1,372,996,192.40. If the money spent by Ambassador Chris Giwa is added, that leaves a total of N1,512,996,192.40.
The President of the Nigeria Football Federation,Amaju Pinnick seems to be fighting a battle of survival as sources close to him told the Breaking Times that his pillar at the Villa have left the NFF supremo in the limbo.