At a recent Town Hall Security/Police stakeholders meeting held in Area A on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 resolutions were made to, among others, grant Police Operatives the approval to shoot illegal arms bearers at sight.
Resolutions reached include:
- All area commander will liaise with various community leaders to form a non-arms bearing vigilante groups and 3 armed Policemen will be attached to each vigilante group for night duty patrol.
- All uncompleted and abandoned buildings will be routinely raided pending when the state government will take action on such buildings. Likewise no one is allowed to sleep in the market henceforth. Special mention goes to Sura Market.
- The Police now have shoot-at-sight order on any body found brandishing arms with intent to kill or maim.
- All DPO’s and Area Commanders should make themselves available for citizens complaints.
- All Police Patrol vans are now mobile police stations and citizens can lodge their immediate and urgent complaints to them, so as to save time and arrest such situations that need urgent police presence.
- A Citizens Complaint Centre has been created to report any genuine complain about the police and the New Commissioner of Police released 10 mobile numbers of the complaints centre so that citizens can report any erring officers or Police Station – 08067945296; 08063025274; 08063104759; 08113615350; 08113683077; 08096283148; 08096283173; 08089781657; 08126404930; 08081426895.