0 comments

Priest mistakes petrol for holy water sparking deadly fire

by on December 7, 2019
 

At least six people have died in a pipeline explosion in Nigeria after a priest mistook a can of gasoline for holy water in a healing service.

A pastor unwittingly poured petrol over a parishioner, who was set alight by a nearby church candle at the Gloryland Estate on the outskirts of Lagos on Thursday morning.

“The pastor picked a keg believing it contained water not knowing it was filled with petrol,” said Ibrahim Farinloye of the National Emergency Management Agency.

“In the process of emptying the contents on the man, a lit candle nearby sparked fire that engulfed both of them,” Farinloye told AFP.

The body of a man “burned beyond recognition” has been recovered, while the pastor sustained severe burns.

READ  Panic mode as another building collapses in Lagos [PHOTO]

The blaze which started in the Baruwa area spread to nearby oil pipelines causing an explosion which killed a further five people.

Vandals are said to have damaged the pipe prior to the explosion whilst siphoning them for fuel.

Operations are currently under way to extinguish the pipeline blaze, according to Femi Oke-Osanyintolu, head of Lagos state emergency service LASEMA.

‘We are responding quickly to put out the fire. Only one body has been recovered, while the other person who was injured is receiving treatment,’ he added.

Be the first to comment!
 
Leave a reply »

 

Leave a Response