0 comments

Re: Nursing Mother Electrocuted In Lagos, Baby Survives

by on May 24, 2016
 

On Tuesday 16th May 2016, There was a report on Sahara Reporters with the caption “Nursing Mother Electrocuted In Lagos, Baby Survives” where the unfortunate incidence of a nursing Mother named Yewande Busari was captured.

We would recall a similar incidence in the University of Lagos campus where a young lady was also electrocuted by a fallen electricity cable some months ago.

These are unfortunate occurrences, and we pray that such never occur again.

However, since this unfortunate occurrence came to light, there has been a number of vitriols directed at the Distribution company that supplies electricity to the Oshodi area, Ikeja Electric this time.

In as much as it is true that Ikeja Electric is in charge of distribution of electricity to that area, and it would be good to actually make them the scapegoat, it should also be known that provision of electricity to streetlights in Lagos owned and maintained by a department of the Lagos State Government, the Lagos State Electricity Board.

Lagos State Governor Akinwunmi Ambode even celebrated on Wednesday 17th May, 2016 the lighting up of 600km of roads in Lagos.

We therefore call on the Lagos State Government to accept responsibility for the untimely death of this young woman, Yewande Busari, just as their Ogun State counterpart has done with the deaths resulting from the recently collapsed Mall in Ogun State.

Failure to do so only further goes to show the little premium our government has put on our lives as Nigerians, and this belittles whatever effort they might think they are putting at bettering such lives.

 

 

Adetayo Adegbemle is a public opinion commentator/analyst, researcher, and the convener of PowerUpNigeria, an Electric Power Consumer Right Advocacy Group, based in Lagos. (Twitter: @gbemle, @PowerUpNg)

Be the first to comment!
 
Leave a reply »

 

Leave a Response