The Presidency has said President Muhammad Buhari was not sleeping on his stand to publish the amounts that have been recovered by his administration from those who had allegedly looted the nation’s treasury.
The Senior Special Assistant to the President, on Media and Publicity, Malam Garba Shehu, stated this while answering questions on Monday during a live television programme in Abuja. He assured that the recovered assets would be declared latest Thursday.
The discussion, analysing Buhari’s one year in office saw the President’s Spokesman addressing several controversies generated by Buhari’s national broadcast on Sunday.
He said Buhari’s Democracy Day speech had been widely criticised because it failed to address the promise to publish the amounts of funds that have been recovered and from whom they were recovered since the anti- corruption campaign commenced.
Shehu expressed surprise that the President’s broadcast had generated so much negative reactions from Nigerians, stressing that the President did not cancel his decision to announce the seizures that had been made.
“What he said was that looted assets will be published Thursday, the Minister of Information will be making a pronouncement on this and this is going to happen when work resumes Tuesday (today)”.
Shehu explained that there were also many accounts that have been frozened by investigating agencies. He named the police, EFCC, ICPC and the office of the National Security Adviser (NSA) among those handling the matter.
Nigerians Ask EFCC To Arrest Lagos Assembly Speaker, Obasa Following Allegation Of 64 Bank Accounts Linked To His BVN