STATE BROADCAST BY HIS EXCELLENCY, NYESOM EZENWO WIKE, CON, TO THANK THE PEOPLE OF RIVERS STATE ON THE MARCH 19 2016 NATIONAL AND STATE ASSEMBLIES’ RE-RUN ELECTIONS
My dear people of Rivers State
I wish to, with profound humility and appreciation thank you all for your peaceful conduct and effective participation in electing your representatives during the re-run legislative elections of March 19 2016 despite the provocations from some overzealous security personnel and their political collaborators.
2. I wish to also express my profound gratitude and loyalty to the President and Commander-in-Chief of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, His Excellency, Muhammadu Buhari for his uncompromising commitment towards entrenching a permanent culture of free, fair and credible elections in the country.
3. I am fully convinced that all those persons, including highly placed politicians, INEC staff and members of the Security Services, who deliberately worked to sabotage the re-run elections in the State on March 19, 2016, were fifth columnists and enemies of progress who were out and determined to undermine the electoral process and perpetuate the old discredited ways of doing things in order to ridicule the people of Rivers State, Mr. President, and the nation in general, as incapable of conducting credible and violence elections before the global community.
4. I wish to re-emphasize that I fully share Mr. President’s position that we must as a people and as a nation exterminate the scourge of recurring flawed elections and join the rest of the civilized world in conducting relatively flawless and credible elections at all times.
5. I therefore call on the INEC and all other agencies in the management of the electoral process, including the political parties and the candidates, to play by the established rules and ensure that the re-run elections to be conducted in the remaining eight Local Government Areas are devoid of malpractices and violence of any kind.
6. Once again, I call on all eligible voters from the affected Local Government Areas to come out and freely exercise their franchise whenever the re-run elections are fixed.
7. As a responsible government we shall continue to be alive to our sacred responsibility to protect lives and property in Rivers State.
8. Accordingly, I wish to assure Mr. President of our continuous commitment to do everything within our powers and resources to support the security agencies to fight crime and criminality and ensure that Rivers State is secure, safe and peaceful for people to live, enjoy and go about their legitimate social and economic activities.
9. Furthermore, I wish to on behalf of the State Government express my deepest sympathies to the family of the late National Youth Service Corp member, Mr. Dumiebi Samuel Okonta who unfortunately lost his life while faithfully serving the nation on election duty during the March 19, 2016 re-run elections in the State.
10. While we pray to God Almighty for his innocent soul to rest in peace and the family the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss, the Rivers State Governing shall ensure that his name is immortalized as a lasting memorial for his priceless service and sacrifice.
11. Finally, in order to forestall a repeat of the needless violence and fatalities in future elections I hereby establish a Judicial Commission of Enquiry to investigate the violence, killings and other related acts that occurred in parts of the State during the March 19 2016 re-run elections and make appropriate recommendations to Government for implementation.
12. The members of the Judicial Commission of Enquiry are as follows:
(i) Hon. Justice Monima Wenike Danagogo – Chairman
(ii) Venerable John Adubasim – Member
(iii) Mrs. Douye Green – Member
(iv) Barr. Joseph Zabbey – Member
(v) Engr. Luke Nwanodi – Member
(vi) Mrs. Uche Uriri – Secretary
13. Members of the Commission shall be sworn-in at Government House Port Harcourt, on Thursday, March 24, 2016 by 10.00 a.m.
Thank you and God bless Rivers State