0 comments

Shiite Massacre | NHRC To Make Report Public, Soon

by on April 21, 2016
 
The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has said it would soon make public its findings in the investi­gation it carried out in the deadly clash between members of the Shiite Islamic sect and soldiers in the convoy of the Chief of Army Staff in Zaria last year.
It would be recalled that over 300 shiite members were killed by the military during the violent encounter in December last year.
The Executive Secretary of the commission, Prof Bem Angwe, let this out of the bag yesterday at a meeting with a group of editors under the aegis of New Nigeria Conversation (NNC) in Abuja.
Angwe told the group of top media practitioners that the commission had received barrage of criticisms since it took on some powerful individuals and pub­lic institutions that were hitherto ‘untouchable’ on issues of rights abuses in the country.
He pointed out that since the country’s foremost human rights commission commenced probe of hate speech in the build up to the 2015 General Elections and electoral violence, environmental pollution by multi-national oil companies in the South-South as well as civil strife and other forms of human rights violations in the country, the commission had be­come an object of orchestrated at­tacks by some individuals.
NHRC boss, however, expressed his members of staff’s determina­tion to fight for the rights of all Ni­gerians no matter the price.
“In a democratic society, people are free to air their views. We will derive our strength from those criticisms.
“We will work for all Nigerians; we will be fair and firm in the dis­charge of mandate as a commis­sion. No matter the amount of criticisms, there is no going back on our mandate.
“We will be prepared to laid down our lives for the protection of the rights of all Nigerians”, An­gwe declared.

Be the first to comment!
 
Leave a reply »

 

Leave a Response