By Samuel Ajayi
…As EFCC Becomes ‘Active’ Again!
Have you noticed? EFCC has become ‘active’ again. Very active. From an agency that, few weeks ago, had its embattled boss under the spotlight (with a damning report from another government agency, DSS), the agency has started ‘discovering’ loots again. From the Andrew Yakubu billions to another $151m with whistle blowers’ assistance, the figures are churning out again.
But like the legendary James Hadley Chase titled one of his books, YOU BELIEVE THIS, YOU BELIEVE ANYTHING, we are being treated to another circus by the EFCC. Am I doubting the veracity of the disclosures? No. But in my few years in the media and having been involved in strategic media management in few occasions, all these media shows by the anti-graft body are well-orchestrated attempt to divert attention and recover from public rating indices that are going down at an alarming rate!
Media Intelligence and Social Pulse Assessment have shown that public ratings of this government are at their lowest. Their handlers know. The management of the president’s “medical vacation” has terribly worsened things.
Did you listen to Vice-President Osibajo day before yesterday? You understand what I am saying. And I will tell you what is going on.
APC discovered long ago that one thing that resonates well with the people is to mention bogus figures after bogus figures of monies allegedly stolen from them. Now check these:
1. Reel out figures; big figures.
2. Name the ‘looters’ and sentence them even before stepping into the courtroom.
3. Then blame recession on these loots. Tell the people that even the bad weather we had in December was caused by the massive stealing.
And what do you achieve?
1. No one remembers that we have a president that has been away for almost a month.
2. You also forget that till today, no single conviction has been achieved by the EFCC.
3. Glaring inadequacies of this government in elementary economic management are forgotten.
4. Southern Kaduna. Agatu killings. Babachir Lawal. Abba Kyari. Buratai. Dambazzau. All these are forgotten. At least for now.
Like I said, we have suddenly returned to the blame game era. Two years on, THEY ARE STILL TELLING YOU MONIES STOLEN IN THE PAST ARE THE CAUSE OF OUR HEADACHES.
Let me tell you this:
If you get sucked into these tactical mind games by this confused and rudderless government, then you are a dunce…
Opinions expressed in this article are solely those of the writer and do not in any way reflect those of Breaking Times.
“A New Department Can Be Created In EFCC” — Nigerians React As FG Approves Establishment Of New Anti-Corruption Agency