Senate President, Bukola Saraki presided over plenary .
Senator Shaaba Lafiagi moves for the approval of Votes and Proceedings of Wednesday 7th December 2016 and Senator Abubakar Danladi seconds.
Senator Obinna Ogba raises a petition from members of his constituency against the unlawful dismissal from the Nigeria Police Force.
POINT OF ORDER
Senator Olusola Adeyeye raises a Point of Order on the NYSC member, Miss Ifedolapo who died at the Kano State Orientation camp.
“The @NGRSenate is saddened by the recurring death of NYSC members in Orientation Camp across the Country” – Sen. Adeyeye
“Senate is worried by the absence of experienced medical personnel across the Orientation Camps” – Senator Olusola Adeyeye
Senator Emmanuel Bwacha says politicians use NYSC members to rig elections without considering their safety.
Senator Binta Garba condoles with the deceased family and says that: “Govt must take a critical look at the NYSC if its still needed in this present time”
“All State Governors must produce ambulance services as a condition for posting NYSC members to their states” – Sen. Ibn Na’Allah
SP, @bukolasaraki: “Federal Government must improve facilities in NYSC camp and provide experienced medical personnel across the Country”
Senator Utazi raises a Point of Order and speaks on the need to recognize the “International Anti-corruption Day” of every 9th December.
“We must do our best to fight corruption, it is clearly an impediment on our national development” – @bukolasaraki
“We must play our role as leaders in the fight against Corruption to send a strong signal to the rest of the World” – @bukolasaraki
DSP, Ike Ekweremadu rises to give a progress report of the Committee on Constitutional Review Amendment.
SP, @bukolasaraki commends the Committee for meeting the deadline despite having a short period of time to work.
SP, @bukolasaraki speaks on the importance of harmonizing and passing the Constitution Amendment on time.
PRESENTATION OF BILLS FOR FIRST READING
1.Federal Scholarship Board (Est. Etc) Bill , 2016 (SB. 403). By Senator Olusola Adeyeye
2. Federal University of Education, Zaria (Establishment, etc) Bill, 2016 (SB.400). By Sen. Jibrin Barau
3. Host Communities Entitlement and Protection Bill, 2016 (SB. 404). By Sen. Omotayo Alasoadura
PRESENTATION OF REPORTS
1. Conference Committee Report on the North East Development Commission(Establishment,etc) Bill, 2016 (SB. 163). By Sen. Ali Ndume. Laid.
2. Conference Committee Report on Federal University of Petroleum Resources Effurum (Est., etc) Bill, 2016 (SB.220). By Sen. Binta Garba
3. Report of the Committee on Marine Transport on the 2016 Budget of the following Agencies:
a. Nigerian Shippers Counci
b. National Maritime Authority; and
c. Nigerian Ports Authority. By Senator Ahmed Sani. Report is Laid.
4.,Report in respect of a motion to urgently flush out Boko Haram Insurgents Re-assembling in Taraba State. By Sen. Kabiru Gaya. Laid
Senate Leader, Ali Ndume reads a motion on the the Joint Session of the @NGRSenate and @HouseNGR to receive an address by @MBuhari on Wednesday, 14the December, 2016 on the 2017 Appropriation. The Report is received.
CONSIDERATION OF BILLS FOR SECOND READING
1. A Bill for an Act to provide for the Inauguration of the President and Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Venues,Procession and for related matters, 2016 (SB. 379). By Senator Ike Ekweremadu
The Bill is read and passed for Second Reading. Referred to the Committee on Special Duties to report back in 4weeks.
2. A Bill for Act to provide for the Regulation and Development of Real Estate and for related matters, 2016 (SB. 216). By Sen. P. Nwaoboshi
Senator Barnabas Gemade supports the Bill and states that the bill is important to the livelihood of every citizen.
“Developers need law to operate properly and the consumer also need laws for their protection” – Sen. Barnabas Gemade #RealEstateBill
3. A Bill for Act to provide for the Establishment of the Dietitian Council of Nigeria to regulate the Profession of the Dietetics and for other related matters connected therewith, 2016 (SB. 205). By Sen. Chukwuma Utazi.
3. A Bill for an Act to provide for the Establishment of the Institute of Chartered Biochemist and Molecular Biologist and for other matters connected therewith, 2016 (SB. 283). By Senator Emmanuel Paulker.
The Bill is referred to the Committee on Establishment and Public Service for further Legislative input within 4weeks.
4. A Bill for an Act to Establish the Office of the Federal and State Independent Prosecutor and for other matters connected therewith, 2016 (SB. 380). By Senator Ben Murray Bruce
“EFCC,ICPC and other agencies would have done better if they are not under the Government” – @benmurraybruce
Senator @benmurraybruce says the bill will provide a “high level of independence and credibility” He uses the U.S system as an example.
Senator @dino_melaye says the Bill by @benmurraybruce has the capacity to ameliorate our problems as regards monopoly of the States.
Senator @dino_melaye says the Bill should be looked into at the Committee level properly in line with the ongoing Constitutional review.
DSP, Ike Ekweremadu says Sen. @benmurraybruce Bill cannot be passed as it conflicts with the ongoing review of the Constitution.
SP, @bukolasaraki also concurs that the bill be withdrawn temporarily in line with the ongoing Constitution review.
Sen. Akpan Bassey moves for the #PIBHearing to continuetomorrow having exhausted the presentation for today. @gershombassey seconds.
5. A Bill for an Act to provide for the Establishment of National Institute for Hospitality and Tourism and for other matters connected thereto, 2016 (SB. 380). By Senator Matthew Urhoghide
Senator Jonah Jang rises to support the #TourismBill and says “Its one of the sectors of the economy that we have not fully explored”
8. A Bill for an Act to provide for the Establishment of the National Livestock (Protection,Control and Management) Bureau for the purpose of Livestock Identification, Traceability,Registration, Cattle. By. Sen. Abu Ibrahim.
“In case of outbreak, we cannot locate the geographical location of where the meat is coming from let alone the treatment” Sen. Melaye
SP, @bukolasaraki commends the mover of the Bill and states the importance of #LivestockBill to cattle rearers and to the economy as a whole
The Bill is referred to the Committee on Agriculture for further Legislative input.
9. A Bill for Act to Constituency Projects in the Annual Budget of the Federation and for other matters connected therewith, 2016 (SB. 321). By Senator @stellaoduah.
“Govt must create a system such that provision is made for every part of Nigeria based on specific needs of every Constituency”-Sen. Adeyeye
“The framework for the implementation of the #ConstituencyProjectBill ensures transparency & there’s no room for corruption”- @bukolasaraki
SP, @bukolasaraki: “We must ensure equity and that what is expressed is adequately reported and not down played”
Senate Leader now moves that other items on the Order Paper be stepped down to another Legislative day. Minority Leader seconds.
Senate President, Bukola Saraki puts the question and Plenary is adjourned to Tuesday 13th or Wednesday 14th December, 2016 depending on which day the Public Holiday falls on.