Tragedy As Man Who Traveled To Bury Uncle, Returns To Find Son Killed By Police

by on March 14, 2018

A police sergeant attached to Badia Police Station has been accused of shooting to death a 16-year-old boy, Emmanuel Chukwu, at Ijora Badia area of Lagos. The incident occurred last Saturday, March 10, 2018.

Father of the deceased, Mr. Uzor Chukwu, was said to have traveled to Ebonyi State to bury his uncle, while his son was shot dead by police in Lagos.

It was learnt that Emmanuel, who was a student of Randle Secondary School, Apapa, was at their apartment about 8a.m. at No, 7 Fadaina Street.

He heard the noise of protesters calling on policemen at their station to release a woman accused of kidnapping a toddler.

The police rescued the suspected kidnapper at Giwa Street when she was about to be set ablaze by some angry youths and took her to their station at Badia.

But the youth went with the policemen to their station, demanding the suspect be released to them.

A resident, who gave his name as Moshood, said Chukwu was sleeping in their apartment and came out to see what was happening when a stray bullet hit him.

He said: “Immediately the suspected kidnapper was arrested and the baby was rescued by some youths in the community. They descended on the woman and tried to set her ablaze. But some elders phoned the police who came to rescue her and take her to their station. It was the shout of the protesters that woke the deceased.

“Emmanuel was standing on the balcony of their house, catching a glimpse of what was happening at the station, when a stray bullet fired by the police to disperse the protesters hit him in the chest.”

Another resident, Mr. John Idowu, said Emmanuel’s death was unfortunate in, as he was not part of the protesters.

The distraught mother of the deceased, Mrs. Ijeoma Chukwu, described the policemen as cruel and heartless human beings.

She said: “I am yet to believe that my son is no more. My son was asleep and woken up by the noise of people shouting that the woman should be released. He ran out to see what was happening when the stray bullet hit him.”

“I was working in the kitchen, when someone came to call me that my son had been shot and I rushed into the bedroom to check him where he was sleeping only to discover that he had left the room without my knowledge. I was told it was after a few minutes he got to the balcony that the stray bullet hit him.”

“To my surprise, when I rushed outside, I saw the policemen carrying the remains of my son to their station. I ran after them. On getting to the station, I told them I am the mother of the boy that they should allow me see him. They refused and threatened to shoot me if I did not leave the place.”

“I cried but they didn’t listen to me until they took his remains to the mortuary. Unfortunately, my husband has travelled home for the burial of his uncle but his brothers have informed him. Even my husband’s brothers who went to the station, the policemen also threatened to shoot them if they did not leave.”

When contacted for confirmation, the state Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), SP Chike Oti, said police did not shoot anybody.
He said: “Policemen from Badia Station received a distress call that some hoodlums were about to lynch a woman for offence that was not yet established rescued and brought her to their station.

“The hoodlums mobilised themselves and went to attack the policemen and tried to burn down the station, it was part of the dangerous weapons they were using that hit the boy.”

“Immediately, the hoodlums noticed what happened to the boy, they took to their heels. The policemen went to take the boy to the hospital where he was later confirmed dead.”


Be the first to comment!
Leave a reply »


Leave a Response