Governor Ayodele Fayose of Ekiti State has commiserated with families of the victims of Tuesday’s “accidental” air strike by men of the Nigerian Air Force of ‘Operation Lafiya Dole’ in the Rann Internally Displaced Peoples (IDPs) camp in Borno State.
The governor, who said that it was strange that the military could “mistakenly” bomb an IDPs’ Camp that it created and aware of the location, called for thorough investigation by both the military authorities and the international community to ascertain what actually happened.
He chided President Muhammadu Buhari for jumping into conclusion that the air strike was a mistake, stressing that “by saying it was accidental, the President already foreclosed investigation, which he ought to have ordered before jumping into conclusion.”
In a press release he issued on Wednesday through his Special Assistant on Public Communications and New Media, Lere Olayinka, Governor Fayose maintained that “it is obvious that the Federal Government is still deceiving Nigerians on its handling of the Boko Haram insurgency because it is strange that the same Boko Haram that they said had been defeated were the ones they claimed the military wanted to attack with fighter jet.”
“I sympathise with those hapless Nigerians who escaped death from the hands of Boko Haram insurgents only to be killed by the same authorities that should be protecting them. May Allah (SWT) forgive their sins and grant them Al Jannah Fidau.
“It is also my prayers that the Almighty Allah (SWT) will console their families and grant them the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss.
“I also call on all necessary authorities in Nigeria as well as the international community to investigate the incident with a view to unravelling whether or not the air strike was a mistake. And if it was indeed a mistake, what led to it must be unravelled,” the governor said.