Glenn Close Net Worth, Career, Personal Life, and Other details
Glenn Close is an American stage and film actress who is best known for her appearances as a deranged stalker in the movie “Fatal Attraction” and as the clever and manipulative “Marquise de Merteuil” in the movie “Dangerous Liaisons.” She is widely regarded as one of the most versatile actresses and receives high praise for the unconventional characters that she chooses to play.
Glenn Close was born in Connecticut into a wealthy family. William Close was her father, a doctor who worked as Mobutu Sese Seko’s doctor. Her mother ran the household. There are three other children.
They joined the Moral Re-Armament (MRA), a cult when she was seven years old. People from the group were sent all over the world to change people. When she was 13, her family moved to Congo.
She went to Rosemary Hall Preparatory School in Greenwich and joined an MRA singing group called “Up With People.” She moved a lot with this group in Europe and the United States.
She left MRA and enrolled at the College of William & Mary, where she studied drama and theater. She honed her acting abilities in the college’s theater program.
There are many celebrities who started acting on the stage, and Glenn is one of them. Close always wanted to become an actress and joined the Moral Rearmament movement in the 1950s. At that time, she was also working on the stage.
Glenn made an appearance in the film first time in 1982, in which she played the strong and independent woman role. It was Robin Williams’ film, and on behalf of this, she was nominated for an Academy Award. After that, the director George Roy Hill discovered her and worked on the New York stage and won Emmy and Tony awards.
She played many unique roles on screen. Her TV and stage performance with repressed and depressed Norma Desmond was the audience’s favorite. Moreover, Glenn played in the musical Sunset Boulevard.
Glenn Close was married three times during her life. First, she married Cabot Wade in 1969, when she was 22. Wade wrote songs and played the guitar. In 1971, they ended their marriage. She was married twice, the second time to businessman James Marlas. They got married in 1984 and split up in 1987.
After her second split, she met John Starke on the set of “The World According to Garp.” The birth of John and Glenn’s daughter in 1988. In 1991, they told everyone that they were no longer together. She was close with Steve Beers. There was no more love between them after 1999.
In 2006, she married businessman David Evans Shaw for the third time. David and Glenn’s marriage ended in August 2015.
This was Glenn Close’s first movie, “The World According to Garp.” It won her the National Board of Review Award for Best Supporting Actress in 1982. For her part as Marquise Isabelle de Merteuil in “Dangerous Liaisons,” she won the German Golden Camera award for Best International Actress in 1988.
In 2004, she won the Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Miniseries or Television Film for her part as Queen Eleanor in “The Lion in Winter.” In 2007, she got the Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Drama Series for her role as Patty Hewes in the legal thriller series Damages. In 2007-08, she was nominated for a Primetime Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress-Drama Series for the same role.
Some Interesting Facts
- Glenn Close began her acting career on Broadway, where she was in hit shows like “The Real Thing” and “Sunset Boulevard.” Three Tony Awards have been given to her for her work on stage.
- For her work on TV, Glenn Close has won two Primetime Emmys and three Golden Globes.
- She has also been nominated for six more Emmys and seven more Golden Globes. There have been more than 100 films with Glenn Close in them, ranging from comedies to thrillers to dramas. Some of her most famous parts are as Cruella de Vil in 101 Dalmatians and Alex Forrest in Fatal Attraction.
- “The Little Mermaid” and “Albert Nobbs” are two song films where Glenn Close has used her naturally low contralto voice.
- Glenn Close broke the Guinness World Record in 2011 by playing Norma Desmond in the play Sunset Boulevard for 553 performances over the course of 19 years. This was the longest continuous acting performance by a single actor in the same part.
Glenn Close Net Worth 2023
According to sources, Glenn Close’s net worth is $50 million. She always worked so hard, and hopefully, she will win the Oscars this year, and her net worth will rise to $100 million.